Healing Muscular pains with Ayurveda and Yoga – Dr.Gowthaman Krishnamoorthy
CHENNAI : Pain – it become so common in the family irrespective age, job, food habits, race etc. This article analysis the cause, prevention, management of Muscular pains with a holistic approach with Ayurveda medicines and therapies, personalized yoga and physical exercise and personalized diet plans.
Muscle Pain – Commonest affecting all age groups. Pain is related to aggravation of functional element of the body that is termed as “Vata Dosha”. According to the ancient medical system pain could be due to accumulation of toxins which in turn leads to obstruction of circulation which results in pain or painful condition.
Causes – Common causes includes muscle injury, joint pain, joint strain, infection to the joints etc
Pathogenesis according to Ayurveda
As explained previously the toxins which is accumulated the in the body obstruct the nourishing channels of the muscles and joints which in turn reduces the O2 supply and other required nutrients supply gradually leads to stiffness of the muscle or muscular system later in turns as pain.
Ayurveda explains the following are the causes for pain. Meat diet, cheese foods, cakes, pastries, candies, packed and processed foods with less fibers, vitamins and minerals, anti oxidants etc further increase the dryness of the muscles which directly results in pain and stiffness.
- Pain in one particular muscles or group of muscles, usually radiated to nearby joints.
- Stiffness of muscles
- Excruciating pain and stiffness of joints
Classification of Muscular pains according to Ayurveda
- Vata Type: Nature of pain includes throbbing, cutting, severe which is variable and migrating. Increases in cold condition, exposure to cold, eat or drink cold foods and drinks etc. Other general symptoms includes dry or scaly skin, cracking or stiffness of joints, constipation, gas trouble, nervousness, irritability, fear, anxiety and anemia. Feels better when some hot therapy is applied.
- Pitta Type: Pain with burning sensation, redness and inflammation and pain increases in hot weather or exposure to heat. Other general symptoms include diarrhea, loose or frequent stools, anger, sweating, fever, high irritability etc.
- Kapha Type: Swelling, stiffness, edema and loss of movement of the affected muscle or group of muscles. Increases in cold, wet weather. Other general symptoms include heaviness, aches, excessive oil secretion, dull and persistent pain, mucus in stool etc.
Ayurveda’s approach to pain management
Ayurveda, the science of life advocates not just management of pain, also address the prevention by advising certain daily rituals which are effective to prevent any kinds of pain.
- Abhyanga – Oil application all over the body followed by warm water bath. Ayurveda advises this to be everyday entity to manage the proper blood circulation and nourishment to whole body which in turn prevents the pain and maintain the youth and clear skin. Ayurveda recommends this as a part of day to day entity.
- Purification of the body – As per Ayurveda, the accumulation of toxins is primary causes for muscular pain. Ayurveda advises the different purification therapies depends on the seasons like end of the season and beginning of next season etc. Like Purgation type of purification therapy is advised during winter or end of winter.
Ayurveda Therapies for the Management of Pain
Ayurveda recommend personalized therapies for the prevention as well as management of pain.
- Abhyanga: Involves a full body massage with Ayurveda oil for 45 minutes. The oil is selected after understanding the patient’s body nature, the season, and disease condition, if any. The number of strokes and pressure vary with the condition of the individual.Benefits: Its rhythmic motion helps to relieve joints and muscles from stiffness and makes all body movements free. This treatment increases blood circulation, which in turn encourages quick removal of metabolic wastes and toxins.Indications: It is used in cases of anxiety, fatigue, circulatory disorders, rheumatism, arthritis, backache and injuries. It also prevents wrinkles and scales, helps in treatment of spondylosis, sleep disorders, paralysis, improves physical consistency, induces sound sleep, increase a general sense of well being and life span. It also helps improve the complexion and texture of the skin, prevents obesity and diabetic gangrene
- Pizhichil: Pizhichil, which literally means squeezing, a cloth dipped in warm medicated oil is squeezed over the patient’s body. The patient should be made to adopt the seven standard positions so that no area of the body is left uncovered. Benefits include Relieves body pain and muscle spasms, Helps preserve and promote optimum health, Helps in the healing of fractured bones, Increases immunity and prolongs life span, Promotes development of muscles, Improves skin complexion, Anti aging and rejuvenating, Ensures better blood circulation, Alleviates the burning sensation in the body, A soothing and relaxing procedure, Prescribed in clinical conditions like Paraplegia, Hemiplegia and other degenerative conditions. This treatment is very useful for rheumatic diseases, arthritis, paralysis, sexual weakness, neurological disorders, blood pressure, nervous weakness, diabetes, blood pressure, fits, convulsions, paralysis and helps to arrest the aging process. It is very effective in asthma and even in tuberculosis in early stages.
- Navara Kizhi: It involves fomentation of the body with bolus of cooked rice. The rice is first cooked with milk and herbal decoction. Four boluses are made of the cooked rice and are tied up in linen bags. This therapy is done in seven standard positions.This is a strengthening fomentation employed in all kinds of neurological disorders, rheumatism, arthritis congenital deformity of the limbs, dislocation of bones and joints etc. Benefits Strengthens the body, Rejuvenates the tissues, Improves muscle tone, Improves blood supply by cleansing the channels of circulation, Effective in curing diseases of the nervous system and others such as chronic rheumatism, osteoarthritis, gout, emaciation of muscles, numbness and diseases caused by vitiation of blood, Makes the body strong and sturdy, Nourishes the body and increases immunity, Promotes sharpness of vision and functions of other sense organs Slows down aging, premature graying of hair, baldness, appearance of wrinkles over the body, Gives softness to the body by improving the health of the skin.
- Ela Kizhi/ Podi Kizhi: Leaves & powders of medicinal herbs are fried in medicated oil and applied over the body in rhythmic massage. Good for arthritic conditions, lumbago, cervical spondylosis, frozen shoulder, sciatica, pain and stiffness of joints, post paralytic spasm, other spastic and inflammatory conditions etc. Benefits includes relieves pain, numbness and edema, controls vitiated Vata, Improves peripheral blood supply, cures diseases like arthritis, paralysis and convulsions, stimulates the nerve endings, treatment for Spondlitis and Sports injuries
- Kati Vasti: Lukewarm Ayurvedic / herbal oils are poured into a artificial bridge created around the affected area (Knee, Lower back, Neck etc). The healing properties of herbal oils used for this massage enriches the blood and builds and maintains strong muscle and connective tissues.Loosens stiff joints, helps to cure cervical spondlitis, neck pain, paralysis and numbness of hands, Stimulates and nourishes nerves relieving pain and numbness, This treatment is very effective in treating different conditions of the knee joints like arthritis, degenerative conditions etc.
- Pichu: A thick layer of cotton soaked with warm medicated oil is applied over the affected area. The oil is recycled periodically to make it warm. Very effective for degenerative and painful problems like back pain, Osteo-arthritis, Spondlitis, injuries, etc.Recommended for Neurological disorders like Paralysis, facial palsy etc.
- Ksheera Dhoomam: A fomentation process, medicated milk is heated and the steam is passed over the entire body.It is effective for numbness, headache, allergies, nervous disorder and paralysis.Helps eliminating facial paralysis disorders and other nervous disorders of the face and speech disorders, cervical spondylosis, spastic disorders and neurological problems
- Vasti: This is a treatment in which prescribed medicated oils, decoctions, herbal preparations, extracts are applied through the rectum.Good for arthritis, paralysis, hemiplegia, numbness and constant constipation, degenerative, neurological problems, chronic back pain, infertility, sciatica, obesity, digestive disorders, ulcer. It purifies the body, maintains health and longevity.
Ayurveda herbs good for pain
- Guggulu (Commiphoramukul- gum) :It is the most effect herb used in the Ayurvedic treatment of arthritis. Guggulu has strong rejuvenating, purifying, medicinal and healing qualities. Guggulu is perhaps used more than any other herb in Ayurveda. Guggulu increases the white blood cell count, dis-infects secretions in the body. Guggulu has been used extensively for similar health disorders such as rheumatism, gout and lumbago.
- Rasna (Vanda roxburghii): The root of the plant is found Effective in inflammations, rheumatic disorders, osteoarthritis and allied disorders.
- Garlic (Allium sativum) :Garlic has been demonstrated as effective for high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and as an anti-infection agent. It has more recently been found to be effective against rheumatoid arthritis. It may used singularly or in combination with the usual medications.
- Indian Gooseberry (Emblica Officinalis) :To treat rheumatism a teaspoon of the powder of the dry fruit mixed with 2 teaspoons of Jaggery can be taken twice daily for a month.
- Indian Aloe (Aloe vera):Indian aloe is useful in lumbago, sciatica, gout and rheumatism. The pulp of one leaf is taken daily for relief.
Diet: Avoid curd & all sour items pulses (except moong dal), rice, meat, fish, white bread, sugar, refined cereals, fried foods, tea or coffee, potato & lemon juice. Celery seeds, bitter gourd are highly beneficial.
Yoga Asana good for prevention and management of pain
- Padma Asana
- Bujanga Asana
- Chalapa Asana
- Nauka Asana
- Dhanur Asana
- Parvata Asana
- Koorma Asana
A Holistic approach with Ayurveda therapies and medicines, Life style changes, Diet and exercises, Yoga can help both prevention and management of Muscular pains.
In Ayurveda, we analyze the causes and create a personalized healing plan with Ayurveda therapies and medicines, Yoga and diet which are very effective in eliminating the pain completely and permanently.
You Can Write to Dr.Gowthaman at [email protected]
You can Mail Your Feedback at [email protected]